History of AlexandropolisIn the southeastern end of West Thrace human habitation is present since Neolithic Era (4500-300 B.C.). During the Bronze Age (300o-1050 B.C.) there are not many traces of active participation of the city. In the early Iron Age (1050-650 B.C.) several Thracian races appear and settle on mountainous areas and in rare cases in the plains.Alexandropolis is inhabited by Kikons, the famous Thracian people, whom Odysseus and his comrades got into conflict on their return from Troy.
The city Sali is identified with modern Alexandropolis, something which is proven through some Roman guides of the 4th century A.D., which set it somewhere 11km west of Traianoupolis (Loutra). In the Byzantine Era, Alexandropolis plays an important role as it is the border of Constantinople and so it is guarded by powerful military barracks. Over the following years, until the 19th century, Alexandropolis seems to be deserted and get covered by woods and wild trees. Later, in the 19th century, some simple fishermen, Aenites, Makrini and Maronites set a small fishing settlement which they call Dede-Agatsh (old tree or the hermit’s tree). There are two options for this name: a) After the long-aged oak tree where the grave of the Turk Dede-Kaiv was and b) after the oak trees shading the coast (dede-agatshlar). In 1871, the railway is decided to cross the town and for it to be supported by the Ottoman Empire. So, Greeks, Armenians, Turks, Franks, Jews, Bulgarians-merchants, technicians, sailors- arrive in the city and built a new Alexandria. Later, in 1878, Dede-Agatsh is granted to Russia (Treaty of Saint Stephan), the new commanders renovate the city’s infrastructure and define it (till present time) as one city. In 1912, the city is captured by Bulgarian troops and in 1913 it is granted officially to Bulgarians according to the treaty of Bucharest. The city is nearly deserted by Greeks who cannot stand watching the destruction of all those they loved as Bulgarians destroy monuments, archives, historic findings and everything on their way. After the end of the World War 1, those remaining celebrate the unity of Thrace with Greece.(Treaty of Nagy 1919). Soon later, Alexandropolis offers shelter to people ousted from Smyrna, People from Asia Minor. With the signing of the Treaty of Lausanne in 1923, the validation of the Treaty of Nagy is a fact and the grant of West Thrace to Greece happens (obliging though the unconditional grant of East Thrace to Turks). Since that time the revival of Alexandropolis begins with great spiritual leaders.
A. Natural History Museum of Alexandropolis
Tel: 25510 80204
B. Ethnological Museum of Thrace
Tel: 25510 36663
C. Historical Museum of Alexandropolis
Tel: 25510 28926
D. Folklore Museum of Cappadocians
Tel: 25510 20270
E. Ecclesiastic Art Museum
Tel: 25510 82282
A. Archeological site of Mesimbria-Zone
B. Megalithic tomb in Roussa
C. Underground sacred tomb in Elaphochori
D. Archeological site of Traianoupolis
E. Tomb of Mikri Doxipara-Zone
Communicate Moel Travel and Conferences: 2106203614
Local tastes of Thrace are laggites, milinakia and minikia.
In the southeastern end of Evros prefecture, on the border to Turkey, the River Evros forms an expanded delta, of international ecological importance, of a total land of 188sq.km. The Evros is the second largest river of East Europe and is characteristic of the carried substances it draws and sets between Alexandropolis and Aenos.
The river Evros springs from the mountain range of Rila in Bulgaria south of Sophia. Near Adrianopolis, it accepts the main rivers of Tounza from the North and Arda from the west while near Didimoticho the waters of Erythropotamos from the west and Erginis from the east. The Evros is the largest river of the Balkans and features the large volume of waters and carried substances taking to its mouth. Its Delta is one of the most important wetlands not only in Greece but also in Europe.
Additionally, one can see churches in the area such as Prophet Elias church and the church of Panagia Kosmosotira as well as the aqueduct of Feres.
1. Delta of Evros
2. Delta of Evros
3. Church of Panagia Kosmosotira
4. Aqueduct of Feres
Tel: Moel Travel and Conferences 2106203614